Reading Notes: Mahabharata- Karmic Revolution, Part D

        I do not like that women like Draupadi were married off to whatever man was able to complete the task her father had set for them. I'd like rewrite the way Draupadi's swayamvara went. I've never watched The Bachelorette, but I imagine it being something like that. These royal and handsome men would complete tasks to show their physical abilities, but they would also have time to speak with the princess. She would be able to see their personalities and find out what kind of lives they're hoping for. At the end of some period of time, Draupadi would choose which man she felt would be her best match.


        I love the way the Pandavas were able to clear away the unhealthy and infested lands of Khandavaprasth. This transformation was very satisfying for me. I wouldn't mind elaborating on how this was done and providing more detailed imagery for the city created as well as the wasteland which was present before. It would be really cool if from the outside, it still appeared to be a wasteland. But, once a person entered the city, it's beauty would be revealed. I might incorporate this idea into my writing.
        The idea of being married exclusively to a man for one year interested me. This might be a great way for a woman to feel free in who she chooses to be partners with. She would not be trapped in a marriage since she could choose a new husband at the end of the year. It might allow her to feel more dedicated to her partner in that time if she knew she did not have to stay forever.
        I'm usually against any kind of abductions, but Arjuna's abduction of Subhadra was kind of romantic. Her being in love with him made all the difference. I'd love to write about a man and woman falling in love, her father disapproving of the marriage, and their elopement.



Image Information: Draupadi, Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: Mahabharata: Karmic Revolution by Epified

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your reading with us! I enjoyed reading the part specifically about the idea of being married and how you found that interesting. I have always thought it is so interesting how so many different parts of the world allow marriage to take place or what that process looks like. Specifically here, this does not sound like a bad thing at all and I think you are right in agreeing with this way of marriage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a World Traveling Dog Loving Foodie

Comment Wall

My Favorite Place: Naples, Florida